Llandudno --"the Queen of the Welsh
resorts"--has two popular beaches appropriately named the North and
West Shores. The golfer who wants to enjoy his or her golf could do no
better than come to play the North Wales Golf Course. The visitor will
find the North Wales Club a true links course situated on the Penmorfa
Beach popularly known as the West Shore.
The course is of Championship standard hosting the Welsh Team
Championships in 1995. It is not only a trial of ability but allows the
golfer to relax and enjoy the exhilarating air and the magnificent
scenery of the North Wales coast. As the course runs along the coast
there is an ever changing vista. On the outward holes can be seen the
Vardre where many a battle was fought before and during the erection of
Conwy Castle in the 12th Century. Then the Eryri -- Snowdownia
mountains loom over Conwy. Then across the sea to Ynys Mon -- the
island of Anglesey and Puffin island. Sweeping further right and
visible at the turn towards home is the Great Orme. For the golfer who
comes to Llandudno to play golf, few other places could surpass this
for relaxation and enjoyment while playing golf.
The course was founded in 1894 by Tancred D Cummins, from Bowden in
Cheshire, who was a prominent Manchester cotton businessman. He first
saw the land at Christmas in 1893. At that time it was composed of sand
hills and valleys running West to East formed by the prevailing
Westerly winds, which still blow, as many a golfer has found to his
cost. In the summer of 1894 Mr Cummins watched the Amateur
Championships held at Hoylake where Mr John Ball the first Englishman
to win The Open in 1890 defeated Mr More-Ferguson by one hole.
Following his triumph Mr Ball visited Llandudno with the founder the
following week. John Ball's association with the club is held in high
regard by the members and a putter he donated to the Club is still
displayed in the Club House and a competition held is his honour
annually. John Ball went on to great triumphs being the youngest player
ever to win the Open Championship which he did at Prestwick in 1890.
Another member of the Royal Liverpool Golf Club, Mr Harold H Hilton,
Open Champion in 1892 and 1897, was an associate of Mr Cummins the
founder member. Mr Hilton visited the course and gave valuable advice
and suggestions on the layout of the course.
Another connection with the Royal Liverpool Course is found in the Club
badge which includes the words "far and sure", which is taken from the
Hoylake Club Moto. John Ball won the Amateur Championship on eight
occasions and Harold H Hilton was Champion three times.
Following the completion of the course , Mr Cummins named each hole.
The par 3 13th, a beautiful short hole playing directly into the
prevailing wind he named "Hades". The Church Commissioners from whom he
purchased the land, requested that the name be changed, as it was
inappropriate to have such a name when the land had connections with
the church. Mr Cummins refused the request. In order to alleviate their
displeasure, he named the 18th "Paradise". These two names remain to
this day. Mr Cummins was to be the Club Captain and Club Secretary for
38 years from 1894 to 1933.
The course changed during its formative years because of housing
development on the surrounding land. Since those days there has been
little change. The biggest change was some 20 years ago when the green
of a delightful short hole, "The Sahara" was lost through coast
erosion. There have been recent additions to the course facilities with
the addition of a practice ground and a practice pitching area.
The qualifying round of the Penfold competition was held on this course
during the period 1952-54. When the great Henry Cotton won the event in
1954, he referred to the North Wales Course at a press interview which
followed his success, as "a gem".